It’s finally here. Well, almost. Alabama football is set to square off with Florida State on Saturday in what is being billed by some as the biggest opener in college football history.
It’s a rare top-5 matchup to open the season, the Crimson Tide checking in at No. 1 and the Seminoles at No. 3 in the preseason AP Top 25. Both teams are early favorites to win their respective conferences and make the College Football Playoff.
Alabama is no stranger to the CFP, advancing to all three playoffs and winning the national championship in 2015. Florida State made the inaugural CFP in 2014, losing to Oregon in a semifinal game.
Alabama football vs. Florida State, game time, details
- Time: 8 p.m. ET
- Date: Saturday
- Location: Mercedes-Benz Stadium, Atlanta
- Line: Alabama by 7
What channel is Alabama football vs. Florida State on?
ABC is televising the game.
How can I watch Alabama football vs. Florida State online?
You can stream the game at WatchESPN.
How can I listen to Alabama football vs. Florida State on the radio?
You can listen to the Alabama broadcast on the Crimson Tide Sports Network with Eli Gold, Phil Savage and Chris Stewart on the call.
Who is calling Alabama football vs. Florida State for ABC?
Chris Fowler, Kirk Herbstreit, Maria Taylor and Tom Rinaldi will be on the call for ABC.
What you need to know about Alabama football vs. Florida State
- Coaching ties: The coaches are familiar with each other. Florida State coach Jimbo Fisher worked as Alabama coach Nick Saban’s offensive coordinator at LSU from 2000-06. Alabama defensive coordinator Jeremy Pruitt held the same position under Fisher at Florida State during the Seminoles’ national championship season in 2013. It’ll be interesting to see how much that prior knowledge carries over to the field.
- Series notes: This is the fifth meeting between the teams. The Crimson Tide lead the series 2-1-1. The Seminoles won the most recent game, 21-14, on Sept. 29, 2007, in Jacksonville, Fla. Alabama won the first game of the series, 21-0, on Oct. 23, 1965, in Tuscaloosa. The teams tied, 37-37, in Birmingham to open the 1967 season. The Tide claimed an 8-7 win on Oct. 12, 1974, in Tuscaloosa.
- In a dome: This will be Alabama’s eighth season-opening game in a domed stadium in the Saban era. The Tide are 7-0 with a 265-104 (37.9-14.9) scoring advantage. Alabama opened the 2016 season inside AT&T Stadium with a 52-6 victory against then-No. 20 USC.
- Top-ranked success: As the top-ranked team in the AP poll, Alabama has played 74 games and compiled a 63-11 record since the inception of the poll in 1936. Since the ninth game of the 2008 season under Saban, Alabama has played 50 games while ranked No. 1. The Crimson Tide are 44-6 in that 116-game span.
- Tough opponents: Entering Friday night, Alabama has the 11th-toughest schedule in college football this season, according to ESPN.com’s College Football Power Index. Alabama will face nine teams that participated in a bowl game in the 2016 season and will meet four teams currently ranked by the AP.
- Honorary captains: Former Alabama Heisman Trophy winner Derrick Henry and former Florida State Heisman Trophy winner Jameis Winston will serve as honorary captains for their schools on Saturday. Henry rewrote the record books in leading Alabama to the national championship in 2015. Winston powered a dominant Florida State squad to the national title in 2013.
The post Alabama vs. Florida State, Week 1: Game time, TV channel, how to watch online (9/2/2017) appeared first on SEC Country.