Florida Gators football is the No. 1 topic in Good Morning, Gators every day — but we cover news, notes and analysis from across the Gators sports world. Join us each morning to get caught up on everything you missed in the world of Florida football, recruiting, basketball and more.
Race to defend the East begins now
The No. 24 Florida Gators open SEC play on Saturday against No. 23 Tennessee, which marks the official start of the Gators’ attempt to win the East for a third straight year. While this game is viewed by most as a crossroad game for the Gators, third-year coach Jim McElwain views it as the start of a title defense. His explanation as given on Thursday:
“Defending SEC East champs. It goes through here and it goes through Gainesville,” McElwain said during the live radio show at Piesanos Pints & Pies. “And, you know, we’ve been waiting for this for a long time. I know our guys are excited to get back in The Swamp and have an opportunity to play and more than that be able to play an SEC, conference game.
MORE: Click here to sign up for the Good Morning, Gators newsletter!
The University of Florida Police Department confirmed Thursday that the investigation into credit card fraud is active and ongoing, and that “these type of investigations take time to complete.” Meanwhile, McElwain and defensive coordinator Randy Shannon discussed their general philosophies regarding suspensions during the Gators’ weekly radio show.
In other Florida football news
- Shannon believes the Gators need to develop a winners’ mindset.
- Our latest football mailbag, with questions concerning Doug Nussmeier, offensive line play, suspensions and more.
- Florida coaches have reminded the defense about the 78 missed tackles in the last two games against Tennessee.
- Former youth teammates, Florida linebacker David Reese and Tennessee running back John Kelly, ready to go head to head this weekend.
- Soccer: The seventh-ranked Gators opened SEC play with a 1-0 win over No. 24 Ole Miss on Thursday.
- Volleyball: The third-ranked Gators will host three non-conference opponents this weekend.
- Women’s tennis: Florida’s national championship defending women’s tennis team opens its fall season with two tournaments this weekend.
Let’s keep talking
Want to keep the conversation going? Hop over to our free Florida message board. Sign up today and join the discussion here.
What they’re saying on Twitter
Cornerback Quincy Wilson
— Quincy Wilson (@dc_wilson954) September 15, 2017
Athletics Director Scott Stricklin
— Scott Stricklin (@ScottStricklin) September 14, 2017
Defensive back Shawn Davis
People ain't down how they claim to be ☄️
— Shawn Davis ll (@Iam_sd31) September 15, 2017
Miss a previous edition of Good Morning, Gators? Get caught up here.
The post Florida football: Gators ready to defend SEC East title appeared first on SEC Country.