Over the last few weeks, three different University of Alabama players have had their names mentioned regarding the Heisman Trophy, the greatest individual honor in college football.
First it was sophomore quarterback Jalen Hurts, the reigning SEC Offensive Player of the Year. All he’s been doing is guiding the league’s best offense, and had his first turnover of the season last week.
Then the hype seemed to switch to junior defensive back Minkah Fitzpatrick, who is so versatile that one simply can’t call him a cornerback, safety, nickel (star) or dime (money) player in Nick Saban’s system. Or a pass rusher. He plays all of them, plus special teams.
“Minkah is a really good player,” junior defensive lineman Da’Ron Payne said. “It would be a nice thing to see.”
With his 125 rushing yards on nine attempts against Arkansas, Damien Harris notched his third 100-yard rushing game of the season, prompting Calvin Ridley to suggest the running back should be considered for the award as well.
So who’s been Alabama’s best player so far this season?
Christopher Walsh and Marq Burnett debate the issue in this week’s Sound Off, presented by Zaxby’s. They give some surprising answers and discuss a whole lot more as Alabama prepares for its annual rivalry game with Tennessee, known as the Third Saturday in October.
The great debate: Alabama’s MVP through first half of season
Here are some timestamps to guide you:
- Marq and Christopher first give some final thoughts about last week’s win against Arkansas, and offer differ different viewpoints on who had the best game for the Crimson Tide. Marq begins with his choice on the offensive side, a player who is making the most of his opportunities (:30). Christopher looks to the defensive side and two players he thought stood out (1:30).
- Who’s your MVP of this team so far? “That’s really tough,” Marq says before eventually naming a player who no one thought would be considered before the start of the season (2:20). Christopher’s choice is also a little bit of a surprise, but for a different reason (3:40). They also touch upon how there’s really a number of possibilities for consideration, and how their answers could continue to change as the season progresses (5:00).
- Marq offers something that he’s seeing with the offense that shows Hurts is continuing to develop as a passer (5:30), while Christopher (6:00) talks about the only statistic that really matters to him.
- Are the young wide receivers as good as we think they are (6:30)? Marq give some thoughts about freshmen Jerry Jeudy, Henry Ruggs III and DeVonta Smith, and Christopher pulls out his crystal ball and predicts which one of them might be close to having a big game (7:45).
- Can Tennessee give Alabama a game (8:15)? Marq and Christopher preview the 100th edition of the Third Saturday of October.
- Marq and Christopher wrap things up by discussing which opponent is Alabama’s biggest rival (9:50). Is it Tennessee, Auburn or LSU? They comment on why you could ask three different Crimson Tide fans and get three different answers.
Check back to SEC Country all season for everything you need to know about Alabama football.
The post Sound Off: Who has been Alabama’s best player through first half of season? appeared first on SEC Country.