TUSCALOOSA, Ala. — The University of Alabama softball team might still be without its ace pitcher, Alexis Osorio, when it hosts Ole Miss for a three-game series this weekend.
The senior has yet to be cleared from concussion protocol after being struck in the face by a batted ball at Auburn last Sunday.
She’s thrown 61.0 of the team’s 173.1 innings, amassing 101 strikeouts for an average of 1.67 per inning. The two-time All-American has a 1.61 ERA.
If she’s still sidelined, the Crimson Tide will have to rely on their other two pitchers, who are both new additions this season. Courtney Gettins, a junior-college transfer, is 8-2 with a 1.62 ERA, with 34 strikeouts and 28 walks. Freshman left-hander Madison Preston is 6-2 with a 1.83 ERA, 36 strikeouts and 21 walks.
Alabama is No. 15 in the USA Today/NFCA poll and No. 16 in the ESPN.com/USA Softball poll. In early RPI ranking, Alabama is No. 20 and Ole Miss 35th.
- What: Ole Miss (15-10, 1-5 SEC) at Alabama (20-7, 1-2)
- When: 7:30 p.m. ET Friday, 3 p.m. Saturday, 2:30 p.m. Sunday
- Where: Rhoads Stadium
- Weather forecast: According to the Weather Channel, rain isn’t in the forecast until Sunday afternoon when scattered thunderstorms will go through the Tuscaloosa area. The chance of rain is 50 percent, so keep an eye out for a possible preemptive schedule change.
What’s the best way to keep up with the games
Fans have numerous options:
Radio: 93.3 FM in Tuscaloosa.
Live stats will be available.
Twitter updates: @AlabamaSB
What you should know
- The last meeting between the teams was in the SEC Tournament, a 4-1 victory for Ole Miss. Overall, Alabama leads the series 58-5, and had a 30-game win streak snapped in 2017.
- Former Alabama softball player Chandler Dare will be the analyst on the SEC Network broadcasts. Crimson Tide football play-by-play announcer Eli Gold is slated to call Sunday’s game.
- The Rebels’ three primary pitchers are freshman left-hander Anna Borgen (2-4, 2.58 ERA), senior Kaitlin Lee (9-4, 2.66) and sophomore Morgan Bruce (2-0, 3.46).
- Ole Miss batters have been struggling this season, batting .255 as a team, which is last in the SEC. Sophomore Kaylee Horton leading the Rebels with a .360 batting average. The 5-6 utility player hails from Jasper, Ala.
- The Rebels are 13-2 when scoring first and 2-7 when playing from behind. They’re 10-0 when scoring in the first inning.
- Alabama defense ranks second in the SEC with a .978 fielding percentage. The .273 batting average is 12th and the 1.70 ERA ninth.
- Alabama doesn’t have any midweek games scheduled until mid-April. It’ll travel to Kentucky next weekend, and host Florida on April 7-9.
The post Alabama softball may be without staff ace against Ole Miss: Series info, preview appeared first on SEC Country.